Wow, a double-digit week number feels pretty surreal. This week has been, I can’t lie, very stressful. All those earlier weeks where I thought “wow, this isn’t so difficult” are coming back to bite me.
This was the first week of our capstone projects. We were assigned teams of 3 and 4, and we spent Monday and Tuesday brainstorming projects. My group, and every group I think, struggled with this. It is hard to come up with something interesting yet doable, something that feels fresh and exciting but that is also, at its core, just a website. I think my group got bogged down by trying to come up with something that absolutely no one had ever done before. Ultimately we decided to build a meal planner application that will suggest recipe pairings to the user and generate a weekly shopping list. It’s been done, but we’re going to do it again, hopefully with our own personal twists.
Once we had an idea, we had the additional roadblock of trying to use a new framework. React is becoming an extremely common alternative to Angular, and we initially planned to use it for our project. This resulted in us losing all of Wednesday to powering through React tutorials, trying to get the barebones of our application set up, realizing the instructors and TAs couldn’t really help us with our React problems, and ultimately deciding to stick with Angular. That was frustrating.
Anyway, now we are up and running, and moving right along. The site, in its early stages, is deployed at dishd.us, and will be updated continuously as we work on it (as of publication I think it is just the boilerplate Fullstack website that we are all allowed to use to start off).